Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Purim Shpiel

I just finished attending the "Megillah According to Disney," purim shpiel at the temple i work at in queens. There were over 200 people there, including most of the religious school, staff, parents, and even the sr. youth group. It's so interesting how many congregations have adopted these innovative versions of retelling holiday stories, using song, dance, and a little bit of acting. What was created was a story that the kids really related to, because they knew most of the songs, although the lyrics were different, but it kept there attention better than just a plain megillah reading, and my guess is that the parents probably enjoyed it more than a traditional reading as well.

I guess it is very interesting to me that traditions like this that Jewish communities have adopted have become so widely popular. Especially in progressive congregations, taking modern society and influxing it with a jewish spin has become very popular, whether it be Jewish "rock", or a purim shpiel. People really like these modern creations, and really get into them. I still remember my first shpiel experience when i was in hebrew school, and it's a memory that will last for a long time.

It was great today to see lots of young children with their eyes so intently focused on the "Lion King Ahasheroush" or the "evil queen vashti from snow white." I think they seem to learn more when you contextualize information with something that they know. It's a great educational tool, and its fun too.

3 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Randi said...

Spending 4 days a week at The Jewish Week I get to see a lot of the different ways synagogues and JCCs celebrate the holidays. Purim this year had particularly interesting celebrations: a fashion show at a Russian synagogue, a Japanese-themed dinner dance on Long Island, and a showing in Staten Island of the Book of Esther made into a western-style (think cowboys, not just hemisphere) movie. I guess everyone finds their own way to appeal to their community, and the more non-conventional probably bring out more congregants, many probably more curious than anything else.

 
At 11:03 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Hara said...

mike, while i can't remember going to one myself i felt the same way this past week. i was asked to help participate in my shul's purim magilla reading for the kids on monday night with only the istructions to dress businessy. turns out it was a musical-esque magilla reading apprentice style. while this was for kids who are probably sleeping when the show's on, some seemed to connect to the nuances of king achasverosh-trump, and the other characters. i thought it could have been done better, but do think the idea of connecting this old tradition we do yearly to something the next generation(s) can relate to, is a great concept.

 
At 11:55 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger redfgwtr said...

That sounds fascinating, but I'm confused as to how it would work as a Disney film. The purim story isn't really a story for children because Esther saved her people with sex appeal. I don't know, I just think it would work better as a Reese Witherspoon movie.

However the idea is still strikingly creative, and something I'd def. wanna see. I'm just perplexed as to how it would succeed as a children's film to an audience who isn't already familiar with the purim songs - though this only makes me wanna see it more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home